« Macintosh Hardware | Main | Kitchen »

GCC : The Athenaeum Building

I can't talk about GCC without talking about the building we were in - the Athenaeum Building, which was built to house Athenaeum House Press. Since the place was built to hold multi-ton presses, this building was sturdy.

We started out in the basement front (the row of half windows you see at the bottom). Eventually we moved to the back left on the first and second floors, and then expanded into various other parts of the building.

Posted by Steven at May 24, 2005 08:46 PM

Comments

Too bad there are no basement shots. We VLSI folks stayed down there for quite some time... I actually worked in the building before GCC got there (up on the 3rd floor for Quadex). It was a short hike to the job interview!

Posted by: skod at June 2, 2005 11:14 AM

Come to think of it: I was employee number 16, if I remember correctly- Mary Jo had started just before me and was #15. Which were you other folks?

Posted by: skod at June 2, 2005 12:23 PM

I was something like employee #23 or #24, if I recall correctly. I started out in the basement right after Josh was hired. It was my first real job, and my first layoff.

Later on I worked at Bitstream, replacing their ancient re-purposed Quadex equipment with Apollo workstations. Bitstream had space in the first and second floors of the Athenaeum, so I still feel a connection with that building.

Posted by: Glenn Parker at June 18, 2005 10:43 AM

Anybody else get laid off by GCC _twice_? I went out both in the post-game-era layoff and the post-Antelope-era layoffs... It was amusing giving unemployment advice to folks in the bar at the Cambridge Racquetball Club after the second one, like I was some kind of old pro at it...

Posted by: skod at June 21, 2005 12:15 PM

I came in when the whole company was still in the basement. John Tylko, Claudine, Kevin and I were all in the corner office, and the rest of the crew were across the way. It was a very small, close knit team. I remember Doug, Keith, Roland, Art, Jonathan, and Betty (who later married John) among the original crew. It was the era of soddering guns and lots of chips, and many visits by Atari.

Posted by: Claudia Newcorn at September 13, 2007 04:22 PM

I worked for Kevin and Claudine as their Nanny and then went to work for GCC as their Sales Administrative Assistant in 1997. These are photos I have never seen, thanks! It was really interesting to actually see what had been described to me many many times! We still had the firepole meetings even though the Bedford office had no firepole!

Posted by: Heidi Strassberg-Bersani at September 27, 2010 07:35 AM