Main | Arcade Games »

GCC : General Commenting Company

I made this entry with no pictures to provide a place where people could post general comments.

I also wanted to point people over to here, where there is a mailing list for former GCC employees and some additional scans provided by other people.

Posted by Steven at May 1, 2005 09:12 PM

Comments

We now have more comments than pictures. Thanks everyone!

Posted by: Steven at June 2, 2005 10:30 PM

Could this be right? In 1986 we sold the 20MB Hyperdrive for $1500. Today, almost 20 years later, you can buy a 250GB drive for $179. Cost per MB of the HyperDrive: $75. Cost per MB of today's drives: about 7/100ths of a penny ($179/(250*1000)), or 100,000th the price of a HyperDrive. I constantly amazed by the technology and economic revolutions we've witnessed.

Posted by: Herb Philpott at June 3, 2005 01:13 PM

These pics are awsome!! I heard great things about GCC but didnt know all the details. I'm so glad there is now a site dedicated to GCC.

My question for all ex- GCC employees is if any of you know if somone has the original roms or sourse code to Crazy Otto before it got switched to Ms. Pac-Man?? I remember actually seeing the screenshot of it in Time Magizine from back in the day and have always wanted to play that version of the game. I read that Doug MaCrae and Kevin Curran approached Midway with Crazy Otto and then Midway changed it to Ms. Pac. Maybe they might have the roms? I would love to hear the full story on this.

Also, does any of the ex-employees own any of the arcade games? I would be interested in those.

Great Site!!

-steve

Posted by: Steven Hertz at June 9, 2005 05:42 AM

It's amazing that folks outside the group of alumni are interested in this! Shoot, I still have my original 7800 in its shrinkwrap, just the way it was when Kevin handed it to me- once I got away from working on games, I never looked back...

Posted by: skod at June 9, 2005 08:25 AM

What *really* impresses me is that this period had, what, 100 employees who came and went? Then the mac era had something like 100 more. I haven't added up the names, but we have about 100 different people identified in the pictures here.

Most amazing. (Both the pictures and the people.)

And still the funnest work environment in my professional career.

Posted by: roland at June 10, 2005 03:01 PM

For you fans of arcade games who haven't seen it, check out www.mame.net

Posted by: Jonathan Hurd at June 25, 2005 08:32 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to add two vivid pictures that I have in my head and can only share in words. Maybe someone else will remember these.

I worked for the computer consulting firm, Research & Planning, that was around the corner in the basement of the Athenaeum Building. I remember walking in the hall to the office one morning and hearing a great crashing noise at the stairs. One of the GCC employees had arrived... by bicycle... and had not bothered to get off it to decend the stairs. He was fine.

The other image I have is of a palette full of coke cans being delivered to the office and left in the lobby. As I recall it was simply left there to slowly diminish with consumption.

Paul.

Posted by: Paul Calhoun at February 8, 2006 08:46 AM

any updates coming ?

Posted by: mackanymn at May 7, 2009 12:12 PM

ehh. really like it

Posted by: mackanymn at May 18, 2009 11:06 PM

I doubt there will be many updates.

Posted by: SteveS at May 19, 2009 09:40 AM

Hi guys,

If you haven't stopped by as of late, the Atari 7800 section of Atarimuseum has had a lot of updates.

I was able to recover a lot of the original source code to much of the 7800 games and the OS for the 7800 here:

I was also able to recovery the GDS "tapeout" data for MARIA: